The Importance of Driveline Parts & Components for Off-Road Vehicles & Heavy TrucksLeave a Comment
At Harvan, we’ve manufactured high-quality industrial components for over 25 years. This experience, combined with our expert team members and extensive manufacturing capabilities, enable us to create parts and products for customers across a wide range of industries.
One of our core customer markets is the off-road vehicle and heavy truck industry. We design and manufacture superior driveline parts that help ensure durable and reliable vehicle and truck performance. Read on to learn more about drivelines, including what parts make them up, how to determine if parts need replacement, and how we fulfill customer needs for replacement driveline parts.
Key Driveline Parts and Components
The driveline is the vehicle system that distributes power from the engine and transmission to the wheels, essentially enabling the vehicle to move. It is made up of many individual components that work together. While the exact components in a driveline may vary depending on the design and configuration of the vehicle (e.g., front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, or four-wheel drive), they include:
- Driveshaft/PTO shaft. The driveshaft—also referred to as the drive shaft, propeller shaft, or prop shaft—is the first driveline component. It transmits torque from the transmission to the differential for distribution to other driveline components. Power take-off (PTO) shafts are similar to driveshafts in that they allow for the transference of power from the engine to a connected component. However, they are used to power another piece of equipment connected to the vehicle rather than the vehicle itself.
- Differential(s). The differential is the driveline component that transmits torque to the wheels. Front-wheel drive vehicles have front differentials, rear-wheel drive vehicles have rear differentials, all-wheel drive vehicles have front and rear differentials, and four-wheel drive vehicles have differentials that control all four wheels independently.
- Axle shafts. Axle shafts connect to either side of the differential and extend outward toward each wheel. They rotate independently, depending on the input provided by the differential(s).
- U-joints. U-joints—also known as universal joints—are flexible pivot points that transit power at varying angles.
- CV joints. CV joints—also known as constant-velocity (CV) joints—are bendable joints that keep the drive wheels rotating at a constant velocity.
All of these components are essential to the operation of the driveline, especially the driveshaft/PTO shaft. The driveshaft provides the initial connection between the transmission and other driveline components, which makes movement and acceleration possible. It consists of numerous components (e.g., the slip yoke, boot, pinion yoke, and bolt), which, if damaged, can cause issues in the performance of the vehicle. Similar to the driveshaft, the PTO shaft transfers power to other connected pieces of equipment. However, the mechanical power is converted into hydraulic power, which can then be used as a power source for various applications. For example, PTO shafts are used in off-road vehicles and heavy trucks for specialized functions (e.g., raising and lowering the truck bed) and powering separate equipment (e.g., harvesters and pumps).
What Are the Signs Driveline Parts and Components Need Repair or Replacement
Both driveshafts and PTO shafts play a critical role in the operation of off-road vehicles and heavy trucks. For this reason, it is important to ensure the components and their individual subcomponents remain in optimal condition. Otherwise, there is an increased risk of the vehicle or truck performing poorly or failing.
Some of the signs the driveshaft or PTO shaft may need repair or replacement include:
- Intermittent to constant squeaking sounds during operation
- Increased vibrations during operations
- Clunking sounds during acceleration and shifting between reverse and drive
Replacement Parts for Off-Road Vehicles and Heavy Trucks at Harvan
The experts at Harvan employ advanced manufacturing technology to produce high-quality components for various industrial applications and processes. This equipment allows us to machine, fabricate, and finish durable and reliable driveshafts and PTO shafts for use in the driveline systems of off-road vehicles and heavy trucks.
Our list of manufacturing capabilities includes:
- Precision CNC machining, including CNC turning, CNC milling, grinding, and hobbing
- Laser cutting for parts up to 60 inches (wide) by 120 inches (long) and waterjet cutting for parts up to 13 feet (wide) by 6.5 feet (long)
- Welding for aluminum, carbon steel, stainless steel, and various exotic alloys
To learn more about our manufacturing services and how we serve the off-road vehicle and truck industry, contact us today. To discuss your manufacturing needs with one of our experts, request a quote.